March 18th, 2010

Djokovic talks Facebook with Open Court

What a guy! Novak Djokovic may be the men's world number two tennis player, but he certainly isn’t letting success, fame and fortune go to his head.

Open Court's Pedro Pinto catches up with world number two Novak Djokovic.
Open Court's Pedro Pinto catches up with world number two Novak Djokovic.

I had the pleasure of spending some quality time with Novak in his home town of Belgrade - as I interviewed him for CNN's brand new tennis program Open Court - and he was a great host. Calm, relaxed, pleasant. A real gentleman, and mature beyond his tender age of 22.

We met at a tennis complex built by his family in the Serbian capital and sat down for about an hour to talk about his past, present and future. What impressed me the most about the man they call “Nole” was the way he described the war and the NATO bombings of Belgrade.

I could tell he felt a lot of pain about what happened to his city, but it was also clear to see that it never derailed him or his dream to become a professional tennis player. He had a goal, and there is no doubt that he always believed he could reach it. No matter what or who got in his way. He kept on practicing and playing, even when the explosions could be heard outside.

Novak also showed me the jovial side of his character. The Serbian star is known for the impersonations he does of his fellow professionals, and although he didn’t have time to give me a glimpse of them, he did joke around with me when we talked about social networking. When I asked him if he would accept me as a friend on Facebook, he said it depended on how many girlfriends I had! Funny, because no matter how many I have, there is no question he has many more …

Djokovic is leading an all-star Open Courtcast for the inaugural broadcast. Former world number four Greg Rusedski looks at the history of the game with a visit to a real tennis court at a royal palace in London, while Caroline Wozniacki previews her upcoming video blogs. Find out how the players get power in their shots as the secret of stringing rackets is uncovered at the Indian Wells tournament in California.

Tune in too at 1230 GMT Thursday 18 March to find out which tennis great will be unveiled as the new anchor of the program!

Posted by ,
Filed under:  Tennis
  1. SerbianLady

Go Nole! You are the best!

March 18, 2010 at 11:59 am | Reply
  2. ceca

Great interview with Novak and interesting way of showing him!

March 18, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Reply
  3. Angelesong

It is refreshing to see a pro athlete who does not let his ego be the only thing you see!

March 18, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Reply
  4. Tania

I love Novak, please let me know if I can watch this program online as I live in Spain! I think this program is an excellent idea and I'm sure all tennis fans will love it. Good luck with it! thanks

March 18, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Reply
  5. Lidia

Wow, this is the greatest interview I've seen of Novak, thank you. I already loved him better than any other player, but now I have a whole lot more respect for him. He's talented, charming, a gentleman, so funny and so handsome. Nole future nº 1!

March 18, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Reply
  6. cj

novak is a great young player and some of the other brats need to learn a lesson from him.

March 18, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Reply
  7. tinica

So charming – Pedro Pinto does a great job, and Novak is a fantastic ambassador for 21st century Serbia. But one thing I love about him is that he seems completely committed to his lovely girlfriend, Jelena Ristic, and she is often his good luck charm at matches!

March 19, 2010 at 1:53 am | Reply
  8. tinica

Tania there are longer interview videos on the CNN site, search for Pedro Pinto or for Open Court.

March 19, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Reply
  9. lala

excelente entrevista la pude ver x internet ya que no lo pasaban en cnn en español una lastima pero me encanto el tan distinguido tan correcto de seguro va a ser el numero uno no hay duda ademas de que es el mas lindo y mas simpatico segui asi nole sos un amor.

March 21, 2010 at 2:35 am | Reply
  10. Okeefe

39. What was my worst date like?

April 6, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Reply
  11. Edusky Edunho

pedro u are doin a good job,can I have ur e-mail address?

April 8, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Reply
  12. Stephen Anthony

Its wonderful we have great tennis player like this. Keep it up DJK.....aim higher!

April 30, 2010 at 11:04 am | Reply
  13. Slike

Novak djokovic i Ana Ivanovic su po meni sportisti koji ce dominirati svetskim tenisom narednih 5-6 godina.
    djokovicu nedostaje samo igra na mrezi, a Ani malo vise kondicije, i videceo u 2011 da ce vec biti na vrhu.

January 13, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Reply
  14. Upoznavanjezena

nice🙂

February 27, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Reply
  15. Andrea Sanchez Baeza

I love Novak Djokovic! Nole is such a humble, kind, person, a guy that is well representing his country. I bet Serbians are really proud at their best athlete!

Great job Nole is doing, he is young and full of life and happiness and al that is contagious, it really motivates us all to keep working hard to achieve our dreams! A great example to the youth!
    No surprise what is happening in his career right now, and his dream of being #1 will come true!

May 15, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Reply